MSL Division 2: Glasheen 2 – 4 Fermoy

A new look Senior team got their season underway in perfect fashion last Saturday in Murphy’s Farm, Bishopstown. With some new faces coming into the side the team started positively and had all the early play. It was a scare from the home side that really kick started Fermoy’s dominance. A strike off the post from the Glasheen striker was cleared to safety and ignited the Fermoy attack. Kevin Dolan was settling in to the team well and his work rate and high pressing rubbed off on the rest of the team as they closed down Glasheen all over the pitch. The opening goal came midway through the half as Gavin Quirke bagged his first of the season with a great strike. The second came shortly afterwards, this time from the boot of Johnny Hurley and Fermoy were well on top. Glassine di force a number of corners late in the half but these were comfortably dealt with. Number 3 came just before the break when Gavin Quirke beat the Glasheen defenders for pace and beat the keeper with the outside of his boot only to see his shot return off the post. Luck was on his side as the rebound fell perfectly for him to slot home.

Glasheen made some positional changes at the break and coupled with two forced Fermoy substitutions early in the second half the home side crept back into the game. On 65 minutes the home side converted a direct free-kick to give themselves a lifeline and shortly afterwards grabbed a second to make it 2 – 3. The game became a bit frantic at this point with the home side launching balls forward and Fermoy regrouping to get a hold of the game. Thankfully all 3 points were secured in the closing stages when Gavin Quirke completed his hat-trick by finishing from close range. Fermoy were able to close out the game and start the season with a nice 3 points and plenty positives to take from the game.

Team: G. Dawson, T. Clancy, I. Snee, A. Deegan, D. Clancy, A. Clancy, K. Dolan, W. Galvin, J. Hurley, M. Quish, G. Quirke.

Subs Used: A. Baragry, E. Roche, J. Barry